Having problems with getting the kids to eat healthy without luring them with sweets and foods filled with gluten? Preparing gluten free breakfast meals can be such a tasking and difficult to plan chore. Especially on breakfasts, where people are all in a hurry to go to school and go to work. Breakfast, being the first and most important meal of the day, should be filled with nutrients to supplement a child’s long day at school. Adequate protein, complex carbohydrates, fiber and good fats should be the main components of a meal to provide and sustain your child’s energy. Eating healthy does not need to bring the horror of a child’s day.
Here are some nutritious, gluten-free breakfast recipe that are easy to prepare.
Gluten-free Blueberry Pancakes
Prep & Cook: 25 mins
Serving size: 4 servings
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg until it becomes thick and foamy. Add the olive oil and buttermilk to the egg and whisk again to blend together.
- Then, add the dry ingredients together with the egg mixture. Whisk until pancake batter is smooth. Gently add the blueberries while mixing.
- Prepare a skillet and preheat for about 3 minutes.
- On a medium heat, add 1 tsp of vegetable oil. spoon about 1/3 of pancake batter into the skillet and smooth the pancake. Cook until golden brown, do it on both sides.
- Plate the pancake with fresh blueberries on top. Top with maple syrup or whipped cream, if desired.
- Heat 3 tbsp of coconut oil and ¼ cup of coconut sugar in a skillet, medium heat.
- Slice bananas into ¼ inch slices and then add to the heated mixture of coco sugar.
- Cook the coco sauce mixture in a medium heat until it comes to a bowl and lower the heat afterwards for 10 minutes. Make sure it is evenly coated.
- While cooking the sauce, get another skillet, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil on medium heat.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the egg, almond milk, ground cinnamon and nutmeg and beat well to create an egg wash.
- Coat the slices of the bread in egg wash and put it into the preheated skillet.
- Cook each side for 3 minutes in a low-medium heat. A light to golden brown is an indication that the bread is now ready.
- After cooking the bread, let it cool for a while. Cut them diagonally to create triangle-shaped bread pieces.
- Arrange the bread in its individual plates by pouring the candied bananas on top. Add some berries to add more color to your meal.
Gluten-free Egg Benedict
Prep & Cook: 30 mins
Serving size: 4 servings
For the Hollandaise Sauce:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dry ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
For the Eggs:
- 8 large eggs
- 4 English muffins
- Butter, softened
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- Paprika powder, for garnish
- Snipped chives, for garnish
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tsp vinegar, for the poaching water
Making the Hollandaise Sauce:
- On a pan, melt the butter until piping hot.
- While melting the butter, prepare the blender by filling with hot water and empty it afterwards. Add egg yolks, lemon juice, cayenne, salt, white pepper, and mustard. Blend at medium speed.
- While blender machine is still turned on at a low speed. Gently add the melted butter onto it until mixture is emulsified.
Making the Egg Benedict:
- Arrange the 8 slices of Canadian bacon on a sheet pan. Be sure to add aluminum foil before putting the bacons to avoid sticking bacon grease onto the pan.
- Warm the bacon in a 400 F oven for 5-10 minutes.
- In another pot, fill it with water and let simmer. Approximately 180 to 190 F is the ideal temperature of the water. Add a teaspoon of vinegar and some kosher salt to the water.
- When the water is ready, gently tip down the egg down the pot.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes and then carefully scoop it out by the use of a slotted spoon. Transfer to a dry, clean sheet pan to absorb excess water.
- Toast and butter the English muffins.
- Once ready, arrange English muffins on their own plates. Top with Canadian bacon, then the poached egg and drizzle with Hollandaise sauce lastly.
- Garnish with chopped chives and a little paprika evenly.
Surely, these 30-minute and under breakfast ideas will make your kids look forward to mornings with your cooking. What a delicious and healthy way to start a day.